The revised GRE General Test comes with a larger college base and now you can apply to Business Schools in addition to the traditional MA, MS and Ph.D. courses. The GRE of course is only one step of the application process, and the exact weightage given to the exam varies not just from college to college but also from course to course.
In addition to the General Test, many aspirants choosing to apply to a specialized domain also opt to do a Subject Test. There are currently eight disciplines which offer subject tests:
- Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Computer Science
- Literature in English
Applicants take Subject Tests to showcase their proficiency in their chosen domain to strengthen their application. We strongly recommend that should you be applying for a Post Graduation / Doctorate in any of the disciplines listed above you take the Subject Test as it can make the difference between getting into a good university or not. The Colleges see these exams as a way of standardizing applicant levels from different parts of the globe and will measure the efficacy of your subject score vis-à-vis other aspirants, rather than giving undue relevance to your college or school marks.
A global degree from a top university sets you on the path to greatness in your domain of choice, and opens up the world for further study, research or a job in the corporate world.
Like anywhere, the best institute for you in the US depends on your subject. However, education being of the quality that it is in the US, there are some universities that are centres of excellence across the board. This is a list of the top fifteen.
- Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
- Columbia University , New York, New York
- Stanford University, Stanford, California
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, California
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Dartmouth College , Hanover, New Hampshire
- Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
- University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- NorthWestern University, Evanston, Illinois
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, Minnesota
- Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island