GS Paper II (CSAT)
CSAT (Basic information)
- From 2011, the UPSC has introduced a new format for the Civil Services Preliminary Examination.
- It has added CSAT in the form of GS Paper II.
- The total number of questions asked in this paper is 80.
CSAT 2018: Paper Analysis
- In 2018, 27 questions were from General Mental Ability, 13 from Data Interpretation, 14 from Reasoning & Analytical Ability and 26 questions were from English Comprehension.
- In 2018 paper not a single question was asked from Decision Making & Problem Solving.
CSAT 2019: Preparation Strategy (i.e., for 2019)
- Keeping in mind the pattern of last few years, we should not make the mistake of treating any of them as a Model Paper for the next year Prelims Exam.
- The emphasis should be on comprehensive preparation, rather than focusing only on areas which were dominant in the previous years' papers.
In the final analysis, if we categorize the questions being asked, it is found that CSAT preparation can be handled with ease. It is not as frightening as projected; and can be easily handled with proper planning and strategy.
Connect to the format of CSAT
- As per the decision of Government of India, there have been changes in the syllabus and pattern of the Preliminary Examination from 2011.
- The Preliminary Examination now comprises two compulsory papers, each of 200 marks and two-hour duration.
General Mental Ability
- Basic Arithmetic
- Series Completion
- Venn Diagram
- Time and Distance
- Pipes and Cisterns
- Data Sufficiency
- Venn Diagram
Reasoning and Analytical Ability
Decision Making and Problem Solving
English Language Comprehension Skills
Recommended book list for Paper II
- Objective Mathematics - R.S Agarwal
- Objective English - R.S Agarwal
So, what should be the preparation strategy for CSAT?
- The qualifying nature of the CSAT examination must be weighed along with the degree of complexity and changing pattern of questions.
- With this balanced consideration, one will not fall into the trap of taking it lightly.
- To avoid any last-minute stress, it is always a better option to allot few hours daily for practising CSAT; especially one or two months before the Prelims.
- You can start even earlier, in case you feel you require more input from your end. Keep evaluating your preparation by solving previous years' question papers and model test papers in a controlled environment.
- Keeping in mind the changing nature of questions for the last few years, your preparation must also be aligned with the same.
- This calls for equal importance given to mathematics, reasoning, and comprehension, in terms of both speed and accuracy.
- With a consistent, smart, and evaluative mode of preparation, sailing through CSAT would become a much smoother process.