TEST FOR METALS AND NON-METALS
MAX TIME: 45 mins
MAX MARKS: 20
1. Fill in the blanks
(1 � 5 = 5 marks)
a. Cu2S acts as ______ agent in Bassemerisation process.
b. CaSiO3 is known as _______ in extraction of iron.
c. SO2 is the product of ________ of sulphide ores.
d. ZnO can be reduced by ________.
e. ________ forms greenish layer due to basic copper carbonate.
2. Why can Zn replace hydrogen from dil. HCl?
3. a. Show on a diagram the transfer of electrons between the atoms in the formation
of MgO. Write symbols of cation and anion present in MgO.
4. Why do non-metals not conduct
electricity? Also, name one non-metal that conducts electricity.
5. Write balanced chemical equations for the following:�
a. Dilute sulphuric acid reacts with aluminium powder.
b. Dilute hydrochloric acid reacts with sodium carbonate.
c. Carbon dioxide is passed through lime water.
6. Give the steps involved in the extraction of metals of low and medium reactivity from
their respective sulphide ores.