Cracking the Quantitative Aptitude Section in CAT: Preparation Tips and Tricks
The Quantitative Aptitude (QA) section is a significant component of the Common Admission Test (CAT), which assesses a candidate's mathematical skills. Many non-engineering aspirants find this section challenging, adding to the perception that CAT is a difficult exam. However, with the right preparation, the QA section can be conquered. This article provides valuable tips and tricks to crack the Quantitative Aptitude section in CAT.
CAT QA: Exam Pattern and Syllabus
Before delving into preparation strategies, it is essential to understand the exam pattern and syllabus of the QA section in CAT. Familiarizing yourself with these details will help you focus your preparation effectively. Here are the key points:
â¢ Total Questions for QA: 22
â¢ Total Time Allotted: 40 minutes
â¢ Multiple-choice Questions: 14
â¢ Type in the Answer (TITA) questions: 8
â¢ Marking Scheme: +3 for a correct answer, -1 for a wrong answer (except TITA questions)
The syllabus for the QA section includes topics such as arithmetic, algebra, coordinate geometry, trigonometry, probability, and modern math.
Preparation Tips for CAT QA
To crack the QA section in CAT, it is crucial to adopt effective preparation strategies. Here are some valuable tips and tricks:
1. Learn the Basics: CAT is not just a skill-based test; it is also a speed test. Strengthen your fundamental concepts and improve your speed of calculation. Explore various tricks and tips to identify the ones that work best for you.
2. Practice Questions: Once you have a solid grasp of the basics, practice solving questions at an appropriate level. Utilize NCERT books from Class 10 to 12 to practice and enhance your speed. These books offer a good foundation before moving on to more advanced material.
3. Increase the Level of Difficulty: Once you are comfortable with intermediate-level questions, challenge yourself with higher-level questions. Focus on maintaining a high level of accuracy while gradually increasing your speed. Sacrifice speed initially to ensure clarity of concepts, and then work on increasing your speed.
4. Mock Tests: Mock tests play a crucial role in your preparation. Take as many mocks as possible to identify your strengths and weaknesses. Analyze your performance in each test and set targets for improvement. Dedicate more time to consolidating your weak areas. Aim to solve at least basic questions within an acceptable time frame.
Topics Covered in CAT QA
While the exact syllabus for the QA section is not clearly defined, an analysis of previous year's papers reveals the prominence of certain topics. Here are some key topics to focus on:
1. Geometry & Mensuration: Geometry and mensuration contribute a significant number of questions in CAT. Memorize and make note of commonly used formulas for area, volume, symmetry, and dimensions. Identify patterns and types of questions frequently asked in previous CAT papers.
2. Alligations and Mixtures: This topic often appears in conjunction with other topics such as profit and loss. Understand the concept of mixing materials/items to achieve a particular ratio. Practice solving questions that involve cost and alloy calculations.
3. Sequence & Series: Sequence and series encompass Arithmetic Progression, Geometric Progression, and Harmonic Progression. These topics may appear as standalone questions or in combination with other topics.
4. Trigonometry: Trigonometry is an auxiliary topic used in geometry, time-speed-distance calculations, and standalone questions. Memorize the basic trigonometric formulas, as they are frequently utilized in CAT.
Additional Tips and Tricks
Here are some general tips to enhance your preparation for the QA section:
â¢ Improve your calculation speed through practice and techniques such as Vedic Maths.
â¢ Develop a strategy for attempting questions based on your comfort level with the section.
â¢ Focus on accuracy during the exam, even if your speed is slightly slower than expected. The difficulty level of the paper varies each year.
â¢ Experiment with different strategies during mock exams to determine the most effective approach for the final exam.
Recommended Books for CAT QA Preparation
For self-study or additional reading material, consider the following books to strengthen your grasp of the QA section for CAT:
1. "How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT" by Arun Sharma
2. "Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT" by Nishit Sinha
3. "Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT" by Sarvesh Verma
In conclusion, cracking the Quantitative Aptitude section in CAT requires a systematic and targeted approach. Master the basics, practice extensively, increase the level of difficulty gradually, and analyze your performance through mock tests. Focus on key topics such as geometry, alligations and mixtures, sequence and series, and trigonometry. By implementing effective strategies and staying dedicated to your preparation, you can excel in the QA section and achieve success in the CAT exam.